share
GloriaLaw logo
CALL NOW FOR YOUR FREE CASE EVALUATION
772-287-1220
AV-Preeminent Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
Martindale Hubbell

Who Pays Car Accident Medical Bills?

If you suffer injuries in a car accident in Stuart or Port St. Lucie FL you could wind up unable to work for days, weeks, months, or even years. If so, you may be entitled to compensation for the wages you lose or lost. An experienced Florida car accident lawyer can help determine if a lost wage claim should be filed.

What are Lost Wages?

Car accident lost wages refer to the monies you would have earned doing your job from the date of the accident to the date of settlement or judgment. You can recover the wages you would have collected had you not missed work while recovering or receiving medical treatment. In some cases, you may also be entitled to lost earning capacity and lost compensation damages due to a diminished capacity to work and/or the loss of financial benefits like bonuses.

Lost Wages Under PIP

Florida law requires every vehicle owner to carry Personal Injury Protection, or PIP, benefits on their auto insurance policy. Under Florida’s personal injury statute, PIP benefits include lost wages, but do not pay 100% of them. Instead, 60% of any loss of income and loss of earning capacity must be paid every two weeks. The remaining 40% must be sought from other insurance coverage, such as the at-fault driver’s uninsured/insured motorist coverag or bodily injury liability coverage.

If PIP does not pay lost wages because the benefits were exhausted by medical expenses, the at-fault driver is responsible for 100% of your loss.

Contact the Law Office of Gloria Seidule in Stuart, FL 

If you have questions about car accident lost wages, or if you’re having difficulty holding the at-fault driver accountable for your damages, The Law Office of Gloria Seidule can help determine if you’re entitled to present and future compensation. Contact us today for a free consultation.

Related Car Accident Information:

Auto Accident Police Report FAQs

How Much do Car Accident Attorney's Charge?

Hiring a Car Accident Attorney FAQs

Car Accident Brain Injury FAQs

What to do During and After a Car Accident

Proving Fault in a Car Accident

Lost Wages & Claims from a Car Accident

Can I Claim Pain & Suffering from a car Accident?

What are my Auto Repair Options?

Advice on Filing Your Car Accident Insurance Claim

Actions to take Right after your Car Accident